Q: What do you mean by “online counseling”?
A: Online counseling, online therapy, or teletherapy is conducted through a secure video platform, through which we can see and hear one another (I use doxy.me). Although therapy is provided through a different medium than visiting a therapist in an office, you will receive the same quality of expertise and support.
Q: Why do you provide online counseling?
So many reasons! Here are a few:
- Convenient for you
- Allows you to engage in therapy in your space, where you feel safest and most comfortable
- More flexibility for people who travel often, for work or pleasure
- Fewer missed appointments due to inclement weather
- Helps you save
- Save money on gas, tolls, parking and babysitters
- Save time you would’ve spent driving
- More choices
- Provides more choices for people living in areas with fewer options for mental health treatment
- A viable option for long-distance couples who are interested in couples’ therapy
- Increased privacy
- Eliminates risk of bumping into someone you know in the waiting room!
Q: What are the drawbacks of online therapy?
A: Our faces and shoulders are all that is seen in the video. This limits my ability to assess for things like body language and physical disabilities. I rely on other cues (like facial expressions) and on what you tell me to make up for this.
Online therapy is not suitable for everyone. People with acute mental health concerns (like suicidal and homicidal ideation or frequent psychiatric hospitalizations) may be better served in person or in a center that provides multiple services.
If you aren’t sure whether teletherapy is right for you, I’m happy to do a free, 15-minute consultation so we can decide together. Contact me to schedule today!
Q: What will I need to participate in online therapy?
A: To see me for online therapy, you will just need four things:
- To live in Illinois (because that’s where I’m licensed)
- A good internet connection, preferably with high-speed internet
- A laptop or tablet with a camera and microphone.
- A private space where you can talk without being interrupted or overheard.
If you do not live in Illinois and are interested in online counseling, I recommend the Online Counselling Directory, which can help match you with someone licensed in your state.
Q: Is online therapy secure?
A: Yes. Your privacy is extremely important to me, and I take every precaution to ensure it..
I use the secure platform doxy.me for our video sessions. I use a secure, e-mail server called Hushmail that allows me to send encrypted e-mails, and a platform called SimplePractice for my scheduling and documentation.
All of the data on these sites is secure, and they will never record or misuse your information.
Q: Do you provide online counseling through e-mail or texting?
A: I do have a secure e-mail address, and my phone number has texting capabilities. However, I ask that clients use these primarily for purposes of scheduling and asking questions about services, not regarding therapy matters.
The reason for this is twofold: First, to increase the security of your health information, and second, to maintain good client-clinician boundaries, which allows me to provide the highest quality of care.
Q: How do I schedule a session?
Q: Is online therapy covered by insurance?
More and more insurance companies are reimbursing for online services, to match increasing demand for online healthcare.
I am in the process of becoming paneled with several insurance companies. With that being said, there are some advantages to paying for therapy out of pocket:
- More choice in finding the therapist who is the best fit for you
- No need to be given a mental health diagnosis
- Fewer paperwork requirements, meaning more freedom in your sessions
Alternatively, I can assist you with understanding how to submit a superbill of your services to your insurance company for potential reimbursement.
Q: How much do your services cost? Do you have a sliding scale?
A: Sessions cost between $90-150. I do take a limited number of sliding scale fee clients as well. All payments are handled through the Simple Practice client portal.
I’m in the process of paneling with Cigna and Blue Cross Blue Shield IL, and will keep this page updated accordingly.
Therapy is a valuable investment in yourself, your mental health, and your relationships. Are you ready to make that investment today?
Take the first step towards healing.
Call, e-mail, or message today to schedule your free, 15-minute consultation.